The first cast of 2015 brings to the table a new host with a new format. We are calling this “King of Immortal Machines – Episode 1″ – We don’t know how many of these we will do, but certainly if we get good feedback from our listeners, it may spur us to continue this format throughout the year. The format is simple; think of it as a take of ESPN’s ‘Around the Horn’ with gaming news and topics. We go through 9 topics coming from the news and questions from our audience (if you want to submit a question see our contact links below). Each caster will discuss the topics and the host gets to choose which person makes the best argument based on passion, creativity, and ‘correctness’. We’ll tally up the points at the end of the show and whoever has the most points will hold the title ‘King of Immortal Machines’ (until next time).

The 9 topics for this show are:

1. What game should we be most excited for in 2015?

2. Is it a good decision for Valve to enter broadcasting market?

3. Far Cry 5: Dinosaurs & Vampires… are these themes a good idea?

4. What franchise/gaming trend are we tired of?

5. Are we excited to see an Assassin’s Creed movie starring Michael Fassbender?

6. Playing off this bit of news, what is the best video game movie adaptation to date?

7. What game do we want to see adapted into a movie?

8. Best boss battle ever?

9. Most disappointing boss battle?

So please PLEASE, give us feedback on the show – what you liked, what you didn’t like, whether you’d be interested in more shows like this. Whatever the feedback may be, we’ll take it, analyze it and continue to try to make the show more interesting and fun. Thanks for listening!

Hosted and Summarized by Steve [Dukefrukem]
Participants are James [Vigil80], Eric [Ravenlock] and Clayton [Voodoo]
Produced by Clayton [Voodoo]

(Don’t forget to follow our Twitter feed, and if you want to join the discussion, come visit the forum thread over at Colony of Gamers.)

[Episode 74] The 2014 IMmies!

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

2014 was a weird year. There were definitely parts that were not super great. Or even kinda great. There were parts that were downright shitty. But as we draw December to a close and look forward to 2015, it certainly hasn’t been all bad. Before it’s over, let’s spend some time talking about the year that was.

Almost everybody’s here for this one – Steve had to sit out, but I’m thrilled to be able to welcome James back to close out 2014. Per usual, the IMmies has no set format, and despite the name we’re not giving out awards. But there were some trends this year that deserved attention, and we dive into those within. We’ll talk about the never-ending onslaught of open-world games with progression mechanics, and the never-ending onslaught of Kickstarter releases (and, to a lesser extent, Early Access ones), and the never-ending onslaught of broken shit from Ubisoft. Lots of never-ending onslaughts, basically. Oh, and one never-ending onslaught that did end (where’d you go, digboxers?).

Some links of interest from the discussion: Space Engineers; DCS World Downloadable Modules (also on Steam, and you might enjoy this video showing off the MIG-21); the new King’s Quest trailer from the Game Awards.

We still didn’t talk about Steam Broadcasting. And I realized as soon as we disconnected that we didn’t even mention Transistor, which is crazy because Bastion was one of my favorite games ever. Maybe we’ll delve into why next time.

For now, sit back and get cozy with a glass of something nice, and let’s bid a fond(?) farewell to the year with The 2014 IMmies!

Hosted and Summarized by Eric [Ravenlock]
Participants are James [Vigil80], Robert [Trebor] and Clayton [Voodoo]

(Don’t forget to follow our Twitter feed, and if you want to join the discussion, come visit the forum thread over at Colony of Gamers.)

Told you we’d be back soon this time. Is this soon? This feels soon. By comparison it’s totally soon.

But it’s also too soon to talk about our favorite games of 2014 in the IMmies, so we’re flipping the script and instead of looking back, we’re looking forward, jumping the gun entirely and talking about the games we’re looking forward to in 2015.

So which games are those? It’d be spoiling things to tell you, obviously, but to be honest we’re not totally agreed on the subject amongst ourselves. The spate of Kickstarter successes and failures and Steam Early Access dominance that 2014 brought has some of us feeling a little wary. But there are still some bright spots on the horizon, though some of us are more optimistic than others.

Meantime, of course, we’re also playing today’s games. I can tell you that when Assassin’s Creed: Rogue hits the PC next year, fans of that series ought to take notice, because it’s much better news than the absurdly botched Unity release. Robert has been playing a lot of DCS World, and it’s worth visiting their website in addition to the Steam page to get the most out of this impressive free title. Steve’s crippling addiction to Candy Crush Saga continues unabashed, and I’d rather not talk about it if that’s alright with you.

Steam Broadcasting was not a Thing yet when we recorded – we’ll probably talk about that next time.

So come on in. Loosen that belt, take a spot on the couch, try to forget how much you ate at the Thanksgiving table, and join us for the Immortal Machines Post-Tryptophan Edition.

Participants are Robert [Trebor], Steve [Dukefrukem] and Clayton [Voodoo]

Hey we’re back! Sort of. Some of us are back. Not all of us. We’re partially back!

Look, I’m rusty at this, give me a break.

There are lots of reasons for the lack of episodes this time around, and we talk about some of that within – basically, a big part of it is that in addition to being busy with other stuff, I’ve been feeling kinda crappy about gaming for a little while, because in a lot of ways it’s been crappy. If it could stop that, it’d be swell. It seems to be getting better, but clearly there are bumps in the road we’re traveling.

But we still love playing games and talking about games, and focusing on the good helps, so we do a lot of that. We don’t just focus on the crappy stuff, don’t worry. There’ve been some sweet games out there lately – Clayton walks us through the surprisingly high-quality Wolfenstein: The New Order, for instance, and I gush unreservedly over Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. And Steam curation! And Blizzard canceling Titan! And Notch getting unfathomably rich! There’s lots of stuff, give it a listen and hear for yourself.

Small crew this time around, but we’ll try to up the player count next time around. If anybody’s around, that is. I mean, I hear Gamer Is Dead! Maybe. Probably Not.

Participants are Robert [Trebor] and Clayton [Voodoo]